Nowadays no one wants to have a hacked website and to protect your website from cyberattacks website security is very necessary. Just like When you leave home you lock the doors and even have installed an alarm system or cameras. These security measures are taken by you to prevent break-ins just like this on the Internet Cybercriminals can break into your website which results in loss of private information like criminals can steal the data belonging to you and your customers or worse your Private data from your business and your customers could be exposed. Sometimes hackers completely delete your website content. To avoid security breaches, installing security plugins in WordPress site is extremely important as these days over 445 million websites use WordPress and an average website gets attacked 44 times per day so it is essential to secure your website.
The best WordPress security plugins come with the following features:
- Active security monitoring
- Malware scanning
- File scanning
- Blacklist monitoring
- Security hardening
- Post-hack actions
- Protection from Brute force attacks
- when a security threat is detected, Notification is received
There are over 900 security plugins offered by WordPress.
Let’s see which one is the best from these 900+ WordPress security plugins!
Well, there are built-in security features in WordPress and It’s also crucial for you to consider taking some additional steps to increase your protection with a WordPress security plugin.
After months of research, we came up with 5 top WordPress security plugins in 2020:
- Sucuri- Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening
- WordFence Security- Firewall and Malware Scan
- All in One WordPress Security & Firewall
- ithemes Security Pro
Table Of Contents
MalCare is a WordPress plugin that protects the WordPress-powered websites from malware and other security threats on the internet, and it can also restore any hacked website. MalCare security plugin is trusted by WP buffs, cloudways, GoWP, ASTRA, etc and it is one of the simplest security plugins offered by WordPress which setups in some minutes hence, this security plugin saves your time and energy.
Features offered by MalCare:
- Scanner Never slows down your website: MalCare scans the website on its servers so there’s no need to load it on your server resources. Hence, their malware removal is fully automated, removing viruses in less than a minute and they also protect your website from their own servers, resulting in your website will always run at top speeds and you will not lose any visitors.
- Fix a hacked website in some seconds: MalCare’s is fully automated. So MalCare malware removal helps you to get rid of all virus and other bad actors instantly in some minutes without waiting.
- Real-time Protection from threats with it’s Smart Firewall: MalCare also comes with a smart firewall to protect your website 24/7 from cyber attacks. It comes with this feature to block those IP addresses who have been flagged for malicious intent in real-time.
- MalCare does not delete data: MalCare’s malware removal process does not delete entire files but only removes the malware which is identified without affecting the entire website.
Pricing: Pricing for malware is affordable and it comes with 4 plans. It starts at $99 / year for one site to custom plan options.
2. Sucuri- Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening
Sucuri has the reputation of being called an Industry leader as this plugin alone offers various extensive security features. It offers features like:
- File monitoring or core Integrity checking
- Malware scanning
- Security notifications
- Firewall Integration
- Security Hardening
- Post-hack Security Procedures
- Malware Scanning: the Sucuri scanning engine is lightweight and fast and their scanners are constantly updated to address the spread of malicious content, website errors and software that are out-of-date.
- Security Notifications: Security notifications are enabled by default example: email alerts. These security notifications will keep you updated in any case of suspicious activity observed on your website.
Sucuri is a free WordPress security plugin for websites but there are paid versions of Sucuri as well starting from $199/year.
3. WordFence Security- Firewall and Malware Scan
Wordfence is a very popular WordPress security plugin with over 2 million active installs and includes an endpoint firewall and malware scanner to protect WordPress. It is an alternative to a cloud firewall as an endpoint firewall gives better protection.
Moreover, the endpoint firewall doesn’t need to break encryption like a cloud firewall as you can see in the above image.
- Geographical region blocking: You can block attacks from those geographical regions that are engaged in malicious activities.
- Traffic Trends: you can see data about overall visits on your website and these reports will also show you hack attempts and data about when the hacks were attempted by intruders.
- Two-factor Authentication: the remote system authentication is available in WordFence which helps to stop brute force attacks permanently.
WordFence Security Plugin is free of cost and you only have to pay for premium licensing.
4. All in One WordPress Security & Firewall
Another one of the most popular WordPress security plugins is the All in One WordPress Security plugin. Its interface is easy to use and understand. The security feature in All in One WordPress Security & Firewall is categorized as Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced.
All in one WordPress Security & Firewall Features:
- The plugin scans your WordPress website for vulnerabilities and assists you in implementing changes to enhance your security.
- To prevent brute force attacks there’s a ‘LOGIN LOCKDOWN’ feature.
- Offers spam security for your comments section.
- Firewall protection is offered by this plugin and you can also apply some firewalls rules which do not slow the speed of your website at all.
- The basic website Firewall detects some common patterns and blocks them immediately but it also does lack a DNS-level firewall.
- Specific geographical region blocking is available.
Pricing: It is free and there’s no premium version of All in one WordPress security plugin. This is packed with free features.
5. ithemes Security Pro
The iThemes Security Pro plugin is also a very popular WordPress security plugin. It mainly focuses on recognizing plugin vulnerabilities and weak passwords. The free version comes only with basic security and you have no access to the pro features like Two-Factor Authentication, Google reCAPTCHA, WordPress security keys, and Password security and many more.
Features offered by ithemes security pro:
- An extra layer of security can be added to your login by using the Google reCAPTCHA.
- This plugin also offers file change detection and you can know when your file is messed up.
- 404 detection
- brute force protection
- strong password enforcement for all users
- malware scanning.
- ‘Away Mode’ can be set when you’re updating your site.
Pricing: ithemes security is free but the Pro version has 3 plans:
There are various security plugins to protect your website from cyber-attacks and I hope this list of top 5 WordPress Security Plugins helped give you the information you needed to find out which plugin is best for your website. If you have further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.